Sunday, November 9, 2008

:: GENERATIONS

I was fascinated … at a germinating bean seed … that my son had planted … In weeks … I saw the split bean … come out of the ground … and the dicotyledons … proudly giving of themselves … to the growing sprout … The dicots stood guard … to protect … the young … and nurture … and … after all the nutrients … had been sapped out of them ... shriveled … and fell … to the ground … Parents ... are like dicots … They share values … and wisdom of experiences … through years … of loving nurturing … And once their wisdom … and strength … are sapped … they pass on … to the ground … But … the young sprout … grows stronger .. tapping into … the vault … of parents’ quotes … that somehow … parents never really die … but live … in the children … they leave behind

dedicated to my late dad who taught me the beauty of poetry (1991)

No comments: