Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bailouts and Fallouts

Everyone I meet tells me we are in a recession. As if the 24/7 media has not pounded it into me. And, for the record, I believe the media has actually played a major role in deepening it. I haven't felt much like writing lately because I have had a hard time trying to write something what would have a positive tinge to it.

I recently ran into an old friend and we chatted incessantly about the economic turmoil and what it has done to corporate America. Our conversation inspired me and I couldn't hold back any more. "Megan" told me that she quit her job because she could not stand the backstabbing and power plays that were going on in her office. She told me that her boss had become so power hungry that he was rewarding those who were feeding his ego and because she did not do it, she was constantly being harassed. She finally decided she had had enough and that her soul was not for sale and she quit without a safety net.

I admired her for standing up for her principles. I could relate. I pondered over this for a while and I realized that to live life involves taking risks. Faith is not faith until it is tested. I am soon going to be a "pen for hire."

Keeping up to date with the bailout plan, I see the fallout of the lack of corporate governance and fiscal irresponsibility of some marquis names. I have mixed feelings about government intervention. I want the plan to help resuscitate job creation and the entrepreneurial spirit of America. What I don't want is to see "stuffing" it with appeasement dollars for the fat cats.

Despite it all, I am still hopeful that good times are ahead. I know my faith will be rewarded and that I will be able to use my "penmanship" to make me a living.

No comments: