Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Hairy Tale

Yeah, yeah, I know what they say. One's hair is one's crowning glory. Thank God, I have great hair - it is effortless to style. I am a wash and go kind of gal. The flip side of that is my hair grows so fast. So, I have to cut it often and color it often because every two weeks, there's almost 1/2" of roots showing.

Which brings me to my next point. It is a hairy time out there on the job front. What it takes to survive in this market is tenacity. Being a seasoned marketer, I am a veteran of ups and downs in the economy and in the job market because marketing seems to bear the brunt of all the hard times. Being thrown in the deep end many times, I have learned to swim. I have gained skills in all aspects of marketing - creative, analytics, project management, vendor negotiation, budget management, lead generation, social media ... you get the picture.

As I am in the unfortunate position of looking for work myself, I remain hopeful that it is my ability to succeed in tenuous times that will be one of my strongest assets in landing the right job. I don't freak out at the slightest wave ... in my youth, I have been in 20' high waves in Sri Lanka. So, figurative waves don't scare me either. My well-honed sense of humor helps me weather the worst Tsunami.

This too shall pass. I know it. Been there, done that.

P.S. I did get a haircut in anticipation of interviews.

No comments: